Bereavement through suicide can be an incredibly isolating and overwhelming experience.
Initial emotions may include:
and a profound sense of grief.
The circumstances of a suicide are complex and traumatic, leaving a deep impact on the lives of those who knew the person who died. Unanswered questions and unspoken words can haunt those left behind as they grapple with making sense of the tragedy. People bereaved through suicide may also contend with intense emotions like anger, guilt, and confusion.
This unique type of grief can manifest as:
a lack of sleep,
loss of appetite,
invasive thoughts and flashbacks,.
In some cases, it may even lead to feelings of sadness, depression, and, tragically, thoughts of suicide.
How Sunflowers Can Help
At Sunflowers, we understand the complexities of suicide bereavement, and we are here to support you. We do not offer a one-size-fits-all approach, as we believe in walking alongside you at your own pace.
Our support is as flexible as you need it to be, and we offer a wide range of bereavement support services:
• Sunflowers Liaison Service: Personalized support to help you navigate the challenges you face.
• Peer Support Volunteers: Companions who offer a listening ear and emotional support.
• Bereavement Support Groups: Facilitated by BACP Counsellors, providing a safe space to share and heal.
• Grief Recovery Courses: A structured program to help you work through your grief.
• Social/Peer Led Groups: Opportunities to connect with others who understand your journey.
• Creative Sessions: Express yourself through art, writing, and more.
• Storms Walks: Nature-based therapy to soothe your mind.
• Bereavement Events: Special gatherings to honour your loved one.
• Facebook Online Group: Join our private online community to share, support, and connect with others who've experienced
• Bereavement Hub Drop-In Sessions: In-person support when you need it.
Our support is available through online interactions, telephone conversations, and face-to-face meetings.
Online Interaction and Support
Visit our social media pages on Facebook, Instagram and Linkedin to stay connected:
Public Support Group
We also have a private support group on Facebook called "Gloucestershire Suicide Loss Online," where you can share your thoughts, ask questions, and receive support from others who understand
We highly recommend the following online resources for additional support:
Hub of Hope app: A valuable resource for finding support networks, blogs, and resources.
Support after Suicide Partnership: Offering comprehensive support listings and a wealth of information.
Remember, you don't have to walk this path alone. Sunflowers is here to support you, no matter where you are in your journey of healing and recovery.